- It uses 80% less energy to produce than standard drywall.
- It doesn't contain gypsum. In fact, it's made with 80% post industrial recycled waste.
- It doesn't generate any mercury during the manufacturing process.
- It resists mold, up to 50% better than even mold resistant drywall.
- It is less dusty which cuts down on airborne contaminants.
- Application and installation process is like standard drywall so additional installer training is not needed.
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
As I mentioned in a previous post, we installed a Caroma Sydney dual-flush toilet in our green bath remodel. We really like it.
Caroma has now gone 1-step further with this dual flush/sink addition to their line of bath products. This Profile Smart toilet has won the Popular Mechanics Breakthrough award for 2008. http://www.caromausa.com/Profile-Smart
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
A really interesting video on the principles that should guide all Green building designs. Part of a series given by author Dan Chiras. Excerpts are from a Residential Renewable Energy workshop offered through CU Boulder's Sustainable Practices Certificate Program. This and many others can be seen at sustainablepractices
Monday, December 1, 2008
One element of remodeling and building that I love is the designing and presentation of projects to clients. We discuss their vision, needs and budget. If they didn't hire a designer or architect, I would draw up the usual floor plans (mostly for permit purposes) for their approval. 2-D drawings aren't the most inspirational at times and aren't a great way to show the client what the finished project will look or feel like.
- First thing, removed drywall/light eyesore from ceiling (seen above in picture) and patched ceiling. The gaping hole in ceiling did afford electrician access for wiring new lights.
- Removed old carpet, pad, vinyl and luaun from the kitchen, dining room and living room.
- Replaced with prefinished Maple floors that came from responsibly managed wood lots in Canada. Instead of 15# asphalt impregnated felt for underlayment, we used Kodak paper. Absolutely no off-gassing.
- Repainted all rooms mentioned above with low or no-VOC paints.
- Old cabinets and tops removed. Cabinets donated to ReStore to be sold and used by others. Old kneewalls torn out and all 2 x 4 material salvaged for backer/incidental framing.
- New Kraftmaid cabinets.
- Island hood installed for better ventilation.
- Appliances are Frigidaire and all are EnergyStar rated.